Modelling - Day 10


Now it is time I finally address what I have been avoiding, creating a texture for the fabrics in my scene. Not only that, I was unsure of how to get a realistic looking material shape, with the same characteristics as cloth.

The obvious answer to this is Ncloth, I have used Ncloth a little but I am not confident. I think it has a lot of potential of which I am yet to explore, it slightly intimidates me for some reason. I decided to turn to Google to find out how to make a bed sheet. There were several tutorials on YouTube so I decided to absorb the different methods and experiment with creating some cloth objects.

I was quite surprised by my initiative as I had an idea and it actually worked exactly as I had anticipated and produced exactly the visual I was hoping to achieve. I created an Ncloth from a polygon plane and used the mattress as a passive collider. This resulted in the plane acting like a cloth and falling onto the mattress, eventually as you continue to play the animation, the object is dragged down. As I want a still object, I decided to pause the animation that had been put in place by the Ncloth when the cloth was behaving how I wanted it to - with the appropriate shape, creases and folds. I duplicated the Ncloth which produced a polygonal shape identical to the Ncloth but without the Ncloth attributes therefore the shape was still.

This worked well so I decided to use this method to place a blanket inside the moses basket. I finished modelling and texturing the moses basket which was simple and used the moses basket as a constraint. I placed a polygon plane above the basket and the plane fell into place, again I stopped on the most appropriate frame and duplicated the shape that I was looking for.


Now I have the models done, I need to create some textures, I have gathered a few different fabric textures and am going to experiment with them. 




I experimented with these textures and using bump maps and eventually ended up with a shader that I was happy with. 



Getting close to finishing my scene now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment