Modelling - Day 4


Today I began with experimenting with how to construct the moses basket as I felt that the texture and bump maps would be difficult and important in order to get the moses basket looking realistic. Initially, I gathered some reference of what I was hoping to create.


This is a good example of the style I am hoping to produce. I constructed the initial shape from a polygon sphere and altered the shape and deleted some faces. I also found a wicker texture and applied it to a Blinn material as wicker can have a slightly 'shiny' quality. I also applied a bump map that I produced in Photoshop by editing the wicker original texture. This worked surprisingly well and this is result: 

I like to try and get the aspects that I am most concerned about addressed first otherwise I tend to spend my time worrying about how I am going to overcome these obstacles therefore I feel that this was a positive result. Obviously I need to continue to model the basket but the initial stages are there. I have also added some shelves too.

Next I am going to address the ornaments in the room such as towels, cuddly toys and other miscellaneous items. I want to create some towels to put on the shelf and have no idea how I am going to do it! Time to search for a tutorial again! 

I found this tutorial:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h4XWER9rJE 

It is perfect for what I want to create and I feel that it will produce better results than if I was to attempt to model the towels. 

I followed the steps of the tutorial and it worked well, I now need to produce a shader to use for the towels. I want to continue with the same level of realism therefore it is important that I ensure all aspects of the scene are of the highest quality I am able to achieve. 

I have learnt in particular from this project that when creating a shader, it is important to have good reference and good quality textures as well as being aware of the material you are attempting to produce. It is essential that you reproduce the qualities of the material with as much similarity as you can for example the reflectivity of an object. In this instance, a towel has thousands of tiny fibres that I need to replicate. 

Again, I searched for guidance on this as I was not sure how I would achieve this, I experimented with bump maps but was not achieving a good result. I came across this tutorial: 


This was extremely helpful and after testing and experimenting with the different suggestions, I decided that I was pleased with the result. I used noise for a bump map and altered the diffuse. I produced a white version and a lilac version as I wanted different colour towels, this is the result: 


As you can see I have also put some grass outside, this was simple as I applied a realistic seamless grass texture to a polygon plane and increased the texture to simulate thousands of blades of grass, I think this method has worked well as the only previous experience I have had with creating grass has involved paint effects which results in a high poly count which slows down rendering time.


No comments:

Post a Comment